Hybrid nerd; the geek in the art crowd, artist amongst the geeks. Startup founder and product designer: I live by helping, making, and solving.
I advise startups in areas where I can be helpful. Mainly: social stuff, cloud tools, and cryptocurrency.
A decade of experience working with and learning from some of the digital world's best designers.
I know more than anyone probably should about designing social software for web and mobile.
I heard it's the future.
I love eliminating chartjunk.
Metaphors, meaning, and magic
I help make great teams and great products by connecting code with design. 24:7 translator and gap-bridger. Find me: building teams, doing full-stack web development, UX design + engineering, technical problem solving and product management (fish-squeezing), hybrid thinking.
We use open social data to make ads reach their highest potential.
• Developed a world-class product engineering team
• Built the Social Operating System powered by interest data
• Delivered multi-fold boost in revenue YoY
• Opened offices in five cities
• Delighted world-class brands like P&G, Kraft, Google, Chevy, Amazon, Victoria's Secret, and Best Buy.
• Business acquired by public company in $20M cash deal
• Created a new web service to spread positivity and enable universal voting on Twitter. Grew to 2+ million users year 1.
• Led creation of first real-time social stream analyzer and responder
• hosted on the AWS cloud, written in Rails + Erlang (for queueing)
• Backed by Founders Fund + BlueRun Ventures
• Founding team: co-founder of Ironport ($870 MM exit), CTO of Napster (destroyed the music industry)
• Led product development from launch through revenue to stable growth
• Written in Ruby & Rails with a liberal dose of RMagick
• Owned all customer- and partner-facing front-end product features + user experience
• Grew an agile product design team within existing engineering discipline
• Created a hybrid crew of designers + developers on a $30 mil+ account
• Unified multiple teams into single billable innovation / R&D team
• Supported four offices through patentable prototyping + development
• Led team of 20 architects, developers, and designers across two offices
• Project lead for global system Re-Architecture
• Overcame insane restrictions to launch 3 RSS-powered sites
• Educated and sold VP-level clients on web 2.0 communication architectures
• Recruited, trained, and mentored new front-end developers
• Wrote and enforced documentation and code review processes
• Named as inventor on US patent application for custom internationalized CMS
• Provided services in London, NYC, Toronto, Chicago, Detroit, and San Francisco
Percy supercharges the design & build process with continuous visual reviews for web apps. Percy integrates directly into your test suite and development workflow to provide iterative and fast feedback about visual changes. Plug Percy directly into your GitHub or CI workflow and unlock simple, fast visual testing, even for responsive sites.
MatterFab is reinventing 3D printing with the first affordable, scalable 3D metal printer using next generation laser technology to print solid metal parts. We are changing the face of manufacturing, drawing from experience at Sandia National Labs, the DoD, and growing up in a machine shop.
We help people make physical things. Specifically, we perform intelligent matching to help mechanical design engineers find the best contract manufacturers to manufacture custom mechanical parts, with an initial focus on 3D printing in the United States.
We're on to something: we have some fanatically happy customers (Frog Design, Anybots, and a Fortune 100 company we can't name), and engineers are beating down our door.
Experiment is a crowdfunding platform for scientific research. How we fund scientific research will be vastly different in 20 years, and the future direction is towards an open and democratic platform for funding science. Researchers from over 150 institutions and universities are using Experiment to fund important seed-stage research that would otherwise go unfunded.
Respondly streamlines a team's conversations with customers using social software. Our product is used by companies like Slack, Stripe, Pocket, and 1Password to manage customer support.
Hashgram is the best way to discover and share Instagram images and videos beyond Instagram. We offer leading brands an opportunity to build awareness, connect with eager followers and initiate commerce via our Sponsored Tags, a real-time native ad unit.
Originally designed and developed as a "no app required" search utility, today, our discovery platform is used by millions of Instagram fans worldwide.
Huddl is a free group text messaging app that makes you comfortable to share once again by aligning your sharing with your real-life social circles. Huddl enables group messaging for friends, private groups, and teams.
Tixelated is a mobile app built on Node and Mongo to make ticketing easy, liquid, and fungible.
Read the Geographic Drift report: http://140proof.github.io/d3-drift/
See the slides: http://140proof.github.io/data-viz-contest/